Having worked in the Maui event planning industry for almost 7 years there are not many surprises left – but occasionally I still get the, “They did what?” pass my lips! Why am I not surprised anymore – because over the years the number one rule for event planning is putting time into the pre planning of the event, and then planning contingencies for the exceptions that may happen?
So where do you start? As far out from the event date as possible as getting space is the first step. In Maui, where we do a lot of work, it is not unusual to be booking one year out at some of the venues, as they are booked solidly every week.
The first few decisions are the easiest. What is the budget? What is the event about? A party, corporate seminar, convention, festival, wedding, or an anniversary – the list is endless, but one thing remains constant once the event has a name and the type of event is decided, the next step will be to decide where to hold the event. This is where the real event planners stand out from the crowd. So you have an event – okay lets book a hotel is normally the next answer but why would you miss out on an opportunity to create a unique experience?
Wedding Planner - Why Hire a Wedding Coordinator?
A Bar Mitzvah is an honored, important Jewish celebration celebrating a boy's coming to age. A Bar Mitzvah symbolizes the boy's entrance into manhood at the age of 13. Putting religious ceremonies aside, a Bar Mitzvah is a huge, exciting celebration where the boy turned adult is treated almost like royalty, getting the best on this special occasion. It's important to celebrate this coming-of-age with a bang -- and that bang usually involves a spectacular party. Here are five essentials for making your son's Bar Mitzvah a spectacular, memorable event:
1. Great invitations. Send out traditional invitations with Hebrew and English wording weeks before the event. Invitation stores can make Bar Mitzvah invitations for you for convenience's sake. Otherwise, design your own with a computer graphics program such as Adobe Photoshop. A free alternative is the program GIMP or Pixia. Double-check your wording after it's completed, especially the Hebrew wording. Hebrew wording will not be the same as English wording. If you're having trouble wording it, consult a Hebrew linguist. Send these invitations out two weeks to a month before the actual Bar Mitzvah.
2. Pick a great location. Whatever you do, don't hold it at home. It should be held in a place of worship, or if you're very casual, a cute bar or restaurant. Make sure to decorate it plentifully -- you want to give the message that this day is very, very special in your lives. Sparse decorations won't convey that message, but ones that nicely accent your son's celebration will.
3. Travel in style. Your son is the center of attention, so treat him like he is. Have a limo take your son from your home to the Bar Mitzvah location. Fill the limo with gifts, non-alcoholic drinks, and finger food -- but let the limo driver know that he should take his time driving him to that location. That way your son can enjoy his day of coming-of-age, as well as arrive in style.
4. Delicious food. It's not a Bar Mitzvah without delicious food, right? Serve delicious food such as finger sandwiches, decadent sweets, and other goodies that younger and older generations will enjoy. Be mindful of dietary restrictions.
5. Meaningful speeches. It is not a true, meaningful Bar Mitzvah without speeches from the Torah. Relatives can read stories and speeches in English or native Hebrew, telling the tales of adulthood and coming-of-age. It's truly meaningful for the family and the son, something everyone will remember for ages.
Highlighting how special your son is - and how important his coming of age is - are the fundamental elements to creating a great, memorable Bar Mitzvah - besides a sprinkling of love, that is.
Event Planning - Time Management For Professionals
Time management is an essential part of event planning. Event planning is not a casual affair; you need professional training for proper planning and management of the event. Time is very important. We keep wasting a lot of time and at the end of the day we realize that time has passed away and nothing has been accomplished yet. If we would have used this time in a proper manner we would achieve more in less time. Time is a tool which can either help you in making your career and it can even break your career.
Stress is a part of job; people feel stressed out due to working for long hours. Working for long hours is actually not the real issue; in most of the cases managing time is the real problem. You have to manage your time properly in order to remained relaxed and stress free.
Time management is a simple process. With proper time management you will recognize that you achieve more in less time. This will help you in doing extra work and providing time to other important jobs. When you try to get a job in an event planning company; you can easily get a job if you have taken event planning courses. This is because the employers feel that you are well aware of the important of time management. Here are tips for managing time in an effective manner:
1. In time management; you have first identify the most important jobs and the least important jobs. You should focus on the important ones and you should give the least important ones to your subordinates. This way the most important jobs will have all your attention.
2. You should be more focused on results and less focused on tasks. People develop a do list. They feel that if they have this list; they will never miss out on any work and they will be able to manage time. Do list is of no great help; instead it wastes your time because too many jobs are listed on one paper and you waste a lot of time on identifying which one is the most important job.
3. Balance is very important; entertainment is as important as work and sleep is as important as work. If you do not rest and keep on working; you will figure out that the quality of your work is deteriorating.
Time management is the core of event planning. If you have mastered this art then you can become a successful event planner and will be able to manage all affairs in the least possible time.